For information about in-person contests, see here.
** Our FREE #SpeedPuzzling2023 contest is ongoing! Join in anytime, from anywhere in the world! See the top featured FB announcement here to see how it works and how to join in.
Get excited...there are many more Speed Puzzling contests on the way!
Offline participation instructions can be found here.
to each of our 2023 Contest Sponsors!
to each of our 2022 Contest Sponsors!
to each of our 2021 Contest Sponsors!
How do Speed Puzzling contests work?
- Anyone in the USA can participate in our LIVE Zoom events. With enough lead time (3-4+ weeks), we also ship anywhere in the world. International puzzlers pay for the additional shipping. So far, we have shipped to Canada, the UK, Sweden, Italy, Israel, Australia, and United Arab Emirates.
- Click on the registration link and purchase the desired contest(s). Your payment covers the cost of the puzzle, shipping, sales tax, and participation in the Zoom contest event.
- About 2 weeks before the event date, we ship everyone the same undisclosed puzzle in a poly mailer or box. Contestants keep the shipping package sealed until told to open it--together with the rest of the puzzlers on the Zoom call.
- A day or two before the contest, we email each puzzler a Zoom link with instructions on camera setup, etc. You can review the instructions in advance here.
- On the contest day, at the assigned check-in time, puzzlers join the Zoom meeting using the emailed link.
- The judges check each puzzler's camera angle and unopened puzzle package. Brief instructions are given via Kahoot slides, and then all puzzlers unwrap their puzzle boxes together.
- We'll count down "3, 2, 1, GO!" (starting the timers on "GO"), and everyone puzzles simultaneously. We basically follow the USA JPA rules and procedures, found here.
- The first individual/team to finish WINS!
- After the contest is over, judges verify all entries and post the rankings, names, and completion times of all participants.
- Prizes are sent to the winners of each division.
Other Speed Puzzling guidelines/considerations:
- Not available on the contest date/time? If you have a schedule conflict that prevents you competing, you may compete offline if you let us know in advance. Detailed instructions are here.
- Find dozens of tips and strategies here.
- Nervous about competing against puzzle ninjas? Starting in 2023, our Fastest Newbie gets a prize! And you can get a good idea where you might finish by trying a puzzle previously used in our contests. Check out our Results page to see all previous puzzles/times/rankings.
- What puzzling tools are allowed for a contest? Scissors/blades, sorting trays, box top holders, and timers are allowed. Other tools (spatulas, magnifying glasses, cell phone cameras to enlarge the puzzle image) are NOT.
- We promote friendly competition! Let's build this group and encourage each other's progress.
- Please let us know how we can improve your competition experience.